Friday, August 29, 2008

third day...

Here are some images of the Arabian splendor of my hotel, the Ghani Palace Hotel. It is directly across the street from AUK so I just walk everyday... the worse part, and about every interior in Kuwait, is that it is freezing! Despite the fact that it has been over 100 degrees everyday, it is 120 degrees today, I have some kind of a cold since I get the chills everyday with how high they keep the air conditioners running... I have resorted to just turning it off in my hotel room, but after an hour or so, it gets too hot again... the Indian cleaning staff that come everyday have no idea how to adjust it so it is not so cold... I got up very late and did not even go to breakfast since my stomach got worse... just ate some plain toast later... went to my office and tried to download a lot of school stuff... met and chatted with some new faculty and some staff that had been at AUK for a few years... unfortunately most of the senior faculty are on vacation until next week... almost everyone leaves Kuwait in the summer since it is too hot... I got to meet with the Acting Division Head but he is only in charge since the other Acting Division Head is in India at the moment, the new Division Head does not return until next week and then maybe I will get a more clear answer on what I will be teaching in less than a month now... (what I was told by the former Division Head seems to be incorrect!)... did not do much else today but slept a lot and found that there is one small spot in my hotel room that has Internet access... it only works if I sit in this one spot and of course, there is no power outlet anywhere close...

4 comments:

Lisa H. said...

I love all the photos you have posted so far. What a chic hotel. Hope you are starting to feel better. You need to carry around a sweater to deal with the a.c. Layering is the key!

It's Harley Davidson Weekend here in Milwaukee. The sound of motor bikes are driving me crazy. Where do they all come from?

Hope you have a good labor day weekend and keep those photos and posts coming. They are great to read. Oh and watch out for those Filipino women, they can be sly...well maybe all women are sly if they are after something...well maybe all men are sly if they are after something...okay I'll just stop talking now.

Anonymous said...

William,

love the blog so far.
nice pics.....really enjoy the one of the bell boy with the bags. ha!

that bed is insane!
are you being fed grapes and washed with a holy sponge?
if not then that sucks.

i want to see the goods......day 5 dance club!

-Jonah

a said...

Hi William,

The photos are great. Everything seem very expensive in Kuwait. The weather scares me the most, everyday is 110-120 degree, thats just crazy.

Anne said...

William,

How exotic! Thanks for sharing your great pics with us! This is a real adventure - how long are you there - an entire academic year? Longer?

Perhaps the key to enjoying that great new food is moderation. And, you know, plenty of vegetables.

Looking forward to reading more (since I'm on sabbatical). Your blog really transports me! Thanks!

Perhaps you'll get so spoiled you never return ... then we would all have to come visit!

Anne