Tuesday, August 26, 2008

arrival in Kuwait...



Arrived in Kuwait at 5:05pm, August 25th, 2008: the flight was too long and very uncomfortable but the American University of Kuwait (AUK) had everything arranged for someone to greet me at the airport, help me slip through customs easily (they never even looked in any of my bags (wish now that I would have brought some alcohol, pork products and nude images!), collect all my luggage, and take me to the hotel... this really helped me feel more at ease. Also, they put me in a room that looks like something a prince would stay in... the view from the balcony in my room looks out over a grand mosque and my university... out the balcony in the hallway is a view of the ocean... the room has a kind of luxury and exotic flair that I am not used to but enjoy greatly... I could get spoiled... everywhere are bellhops, maids, waiters, etc. that are all too eager to please... they are all non-Kuwaiti and I really enjoy talking with them, finding out where they are from, how long they have been here and what they think of Kuwait (they all seem to just be here for the money)... they are from India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, the Philippines, etc.... I have not even spoken to any real Kuwaitis yet!

I have already taken some great photos and am anxious to post them online and start a blog... the Internet is not working in my room yet (I am using the computer in the "business center" ...it is in the middle of the open hotel lobby and it is the only computer working)...

I was extremely anxious flying over here wondering if I made a big mistake and what the hell I was moving my whole life to the Middle East for... flying here, I spoke to a couple of Americans that said it would be fine and they liked living in Kuwait... (interestingly, they were all private military contractors) ...I felt a lot better once I arrived, touched ground, saw the cute Filipino woman with a sign with my name, and the Arabian decor and luxury of my hotel...

2 comments:

Johannah Silva said...

William,
Wow! What an adventure! Those Filipino ladies sure are everywhere! ;0)... I wish much success and calm on your first teaching year.
cheers,
Johannah

Unknown said...

Hi, William,

It seems that you have a good beginning there. Hope you can enjoy your life.

Liping