Friday, June 5, 2009

remembering "Tank Man"...

In the summer of 2007, I was invited to take part in an artist residency program at Platform China's Beijing International Artist Platform (BIAP). The project that I completed during my residency included wheatpasting up sections of hand printed wallpaper on the streets of Beijing, China. My prints, installed guerrilla style without permission, not only engendered much discussion with local residents but surprisingly stayed up for more than a week before all traces were removed. The prints conflated two divergent images of China. On top of highly romanticized images of China from anachronistic chinoiserie wallpaper, I silk screened photographic images of the "Tank Man ," an image banned in China, of a lone city resident standing up to a column of tanks on June 5th, 1989 in the aftermath of the Tiananmen Square Massacre. The image above and the images in my previous post show some of the installation of that project on the streets of Beijing. Also, the following blog mentions my work in connection with a series of paintings by Chen Guang, a former soldier that fired shoots in Tiananmen, - William Andersen

1 comment:

Mike Licht said...

Tank Man lives. New versions of this iconic image are all over the Web. Here, for example:

http://notionscapital.wordpress.com/2009/06/03/20th-anniversary-of-tiananmen-square/