Friday, September 5, 2008

tenth day...

I finally watched "Lawrence of Arabia"! and I watched it in the Arabian Peninsula! Although I've seen bits and pieces of it before, I do not remember watching the whole film and it is quite a long film... although there is still sand here and there, I've seen no camels and no warriors as in Lawrence's day... so much of Kuwait is just like the States and they want to be just like the States... I've found no anti- Americanism here and everyone is excited when I tell them I am from the USA... although the water towers are a bit different, there is a mosque on every block and a few palaces about (seen in the photos) there is also a Starbucks on every other corner, and plenty of McDonald's, KFC's and Dunkin Donuts... Maryam took us to a building downtown that had a whole floor of art supply stores... they had just about everything but I could not find a few things that I will need to teach my drawing class... found a few bizarre items that might inspire some interesting artworks... I am really fascinated by the emphasis on calligraphy and all of the calligraphy items in the art stores... lots of strange model and display making items as well... rushed back to school for a few meetings and then went out to eat with some of the other new teachers (I only had rice though)...

No comments: