Monday, September 22, 2008

first day of school...

What struck me the most about the first day of classes was all of the students showing up in brand new Hummers and SUV's or being dropped off by their drivers.

The students seemed nice enough, although it is odd having only women in one class, only men in another. I've heard from studies that while this is actually good academically for women, the men tend to suffer.

You can see that the students dress in all different ways- some in traditional Arabic clothing, some very casual, some in the latest Western fashions, many with expensive brand names. I've seen more authentic* Louis Vuitton luxury goods today than ever before in my life.

*I've seen a lot of Louis Vuitton goods before while traveling in China, but they were all fakes...

No comments: